top of page

Helpful Links and Answers to Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

We welcome you to browse this page from Northern Tax and Financial to find some helpful financial links. Towards the bottom of this page, you can also find some answers to our most frequently asked questions. If you have any further questions regarding taxes or our services, we welcome you to give us a call today.

Helpful Links

If you are without a computer system, you may call Service Canada toll free at 1-800-277-9914 in Canada and the United States. If you have a speech or hearing impairment and use a teletypewriter, call 1-800-255-4786.

A Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors

Click here to find information on resources available for seniors in Ontario, including tax credits, health, caregiving, housing, driving and staying safe.

Debt Help – Canada

For help with managing debt, paying down debt, what to do if a collection agency contacts you, click here

Financial goal calculator (to assist with getting out of debt)

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is the Deadline to File My Tax Return?

For individuals, April 30th. For small businesses, June 15th.

Do I Have to File?

Here are some of the reasons for filing a tax return:

  1. You have a balance owing
  2. You are receiving the Child Tax Benefit or other credits
  3. You have disposed of Capital Property, even if the disposition does not result in a balance owing
  4. You have received a request or demand to file

If you are unsure, contact the tax professionals at Northern Tax and Financial to avoid costly late filing penalties and interest.

What Is CRA’s General Inquiry Line?


My Son Turned 18 in 2016 and Doesn’t Have Any Income, Should He File?

Yes, as he will miss out on valuable credits like the GST credit if he does not.

How Do I Pay My Balance Owing?

You can pay your balance owning at the bank, through online banking or through the “my payment” option on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website.

My Medical and Charitable Donations Have Not Been Claimed in the Past, Can I Claim Them This Year?

You can claim charitable donations for the past 5 years max. You can include medical expense receipts for any 12 month period ending in the tax year.

If you have a question that isn’t addressed on this page, we welcome you to give us a call today.

Contact Us

We are happy to answer your basic tax questions free of charge

bottom of page